Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I'll Show You Mine If You Show Me Yours...

I'm talking about recipes people!
I've been working on my menu for the next 2 weeks and I'm feeling in a rut.
We seem to have the same thing over and over again.
Part of it is my fault.
I really only like to make things that I have the recipe memorized for.
Kinda puts a limit on things.
The other part would be my picky family's fault.
There is nothing worse than slaving away in the kitchen and then no one liking what you made.
And then you have to make them something else.
I make my kids try everything I make but if they don't like it I don't force them to eat it.
I don't like being forced to eat something I don't like so why should I force them.
Feel free to disagree but that's just how we do it here.

Anyway...
I have one recipe that we all LOVE so I wanted to share it with you 
But in return I'd love for you to share with me your families favorite meal.
I think that's only fair
Right???

Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
Ingredients
1 pkg. (8 oz.) Cream Cheese, cubed
1/2 Cup Chicken Broth
1 lb. cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed (I use canned chicken which makes this recipe a breeze)
16 oz. Frozen Mixed Vegetables, thawed
1/2 tsp. Garlic Salt
1 egg
1/2 Cup Milk
1 Cup All Purpose Baking Mix

Make It
Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cook cream cheese and broth in large saucepan on low heat until cream cheese is completely melted and mixture is well blended, stirring frequently with whisk.
Stir in Chicken, vegetables and garlic salt.
Spoon into 9-inch pie plate.  Beat egg and milk in medium bowl with whisk until well blended; stir in baking mix just until moistened.  Spoon over chicken mixture.  Place pie plate on baking sheet.
Bake 25-30 min. or until golden brown.

And there you have it.
Quick, cheap, and easy on the taste buds.
Next time I make it I'll add a picture.
I hope your family enjoys it as much as mine.

4 comments:

  1. My family loves a simple recipe that I make. You simply cook a pan of mac n cheese and then in a 13 X 9 pan layer the mac n cheese with chicken (or beef, both pre-cooked. Then you simply add shredded cheese on top. Cook at 350 for 30 minutes. In the last 5 minutes you can take tortilla chips (or Dorito's), crunch them on top. I also usually put salsa on half because my kids don't enjoy it. Simple easy and fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We make that chicken pot pie recipe too.

    My go to meals are simple like spaghetti, stir fry, and tacos. A meal I make with an actual recipe is my breadsticks. They go well with lots of things like soups and spaghetti and they don't take long. I posted about it on my personal blog a long time ago so I will lead you there for the recipe: http://benandlaura.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-do-you-eat-your-bread-stick.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. How about you come over and we cook our favorite recipes? You could teach me your families favorites and I'll teach you ours. Then we'll have twice as many ideas when planning menus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I LOVE chicken pot pie- i've never tried putting cream cheese in it but that sounds great. Well Scott and I eat homemade pizza like once a week so I'm really good at making that now... But my favorite recipes I've made so far is baked artichoke dip and bacon wrapped chicken- both from allrecipes.com:

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Artichoke--Spinach-Dip-Restaurant-Style/Detail.aspx

    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Bacon-Wrapped-Chicken-2/Detail.aspx

    ReplyDelete

Show me some comment love!